December 30, 2018



Sequence number:s3437
Date of letter:1992-10-21
Address of author:Hangzhou City, Zhejiang Province
Date of event:1943-11-04(lunar calendar)
Location of event:Yong An, Fujian Province
Name of author:Gao Xiongfei
Name(s) of victim(s):Gao Xiongfei, Shao Zhuhua (Gao Xiongfei’s mother), Shao Haoran (Gao Xiongfei’s uncle)

Type of atrocity:Air Bombings, Others, Murders(AB, OT, MU)
Other details:In 1943 at Yongan in Fujian Province, we mother and son lost our right arms during aircraft bombing by the Japanese Army. My uncle was also killed by the Japanese Army, with houses burned. Although it happened many years ago, we will never forget the hatred, our whole family demanded the Japanese government to squarely face invasion war and strongly demand compensation. The attached are multiple testimony materials and detailed explanations.


  This document is a copy of the letter mailed by Gao Xiongfei to Jiang Zemin and Li Peng, attached with a claim letter to the Japanese Embassy in China
Registration No.: 125#(Jiang) and 126#(Li), Section 96, Hangzhou, Zhejiang
  This letter has not been replied till today.

Gao Xiongfei

Please refer to separately attached receipt copy

This document is for circulation inside China; please do not send to the Japanese side!!!

  I am a Chinese citizen, Gao Xiongfei, male, 53, associate professor, and a party member of Jiu San Society.

  Yesterday (October 20, 1992) I sent a letter to Mr. Hiroshi HASHIMOTO, the Japanese Ambassador in China (Section 96, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, Registration No.0069), whose content is pointing out the civilian claim for the sake of Sino-Japanese friendship to the Japanese government, in order to let leaders in the central government to “know the enemy, know yourself” in foreign affair activities. I have the obligation to inform relevant officials of the central government of this thing, so as to facilitate promotion of Sino-Japanese friendly relation; therefore, today I attach all letters I have mailed, for reference by officials of the central government.

  One of the aims of mailing the claim letter is to use this letter as a touch stone to probe the attitude of the Japanese government toward the Chinese government and Chinese civilians, especially the attitude of the Japanese government toward civilian claim in China today.

  We Chinese government has lost too much in its dealing with the Japanese government! The main reason, in my opinion, is that the Chinese government back then “did not know itself, nor did it know the other side. ” whereas the Japanese side “knew themselves, and knew the other side.”

  Next, let me introduce a little known incident, for reference in foreign activities.

  On September 2, 1945, the Japanese government signed unconditional surrender letter with the Allied Force. According to “Potsdam Proclamation”, Taiwan and the Penghu archipelago must be returned to China, so the Japanese government was forced to return them to the then Chinese government.

  As the invading Japanese Army implemented the policy “for every dead Japanese, one hundred Chinese must be killed in return, for every wounded Japanese, fifty Chinese must be killed in return” in its invasion, in the Japanese Militarism’s government, senior officials all knew that Chinese people had very high popular indignation, they were afraid Chinese civilians and army would retaliate the Japanese Army and Japanese expatriates; therefore, they tried everything possible to implement “changing unconditional surrender to conditioned surrender” strategy.

  In mid September in 1945, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan notified the Nanjing government to dispatch officers to go to Taiwan and accept surrender and handover formality from Rikichi ANDO, Commander of the Japanese 10th Army in Taiwan, and concurrently Taiwan Governor Palace. In the then Nanjing government, many senior officials were still in Chongqing; so in a hurry, Chiang Kai-Shek dispatched Mr. Wei Daoming, and notified the Japanese side; but the Japanese government refused the offer with various reasons, and asked the Nanjing government to dispatch alternative candidate. Then, Chiang Kai-Shek dispatched two more persons, who were again declined by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs with different excuses. Back then, some troops of the US Seventh Fleet had occupied some coastal cities and key ports in Taiwan in the Pacific Sea Battle, and they were eager to evacuate American troops in Taiwan so as to be able to allocate resources to handle affairs on Japanese mainland. The United States also urged Chiang Kai-Shek to dispatch personnel to Taiwan, and accept surrender by the Japanese side.

  Feeling helpless, Chiang Kai-Shek asked the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to notify the Japanese side, and requested the Japanese side to propose a name list of Chinese officials to go to Taiwan to handle handover, and this was exactly what Japan needed. The Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs then nominated Chen Yi, the then KMT Director of Department of Military in Chongqing, as the official of the Chinese government to go to Taiwan for handover and accept Japan’s surrender. Chiang Kai-Shek had no idea what the Japanese side was up to, with no other alternatives. He agreed to dispatch Chen Yi, and instructed the then KMT 70th Army stationed in Fujian and KMT 90th Army stationed in Guangdong to depart respectively from Fuzhou, Xiamen and Shantou to follow Chen Yi to go to Taiwan for handover. Before Chen Yi left, Chiang informed Chen of the previous process of the matter, and asked Chen to find out why he was selected by the Japanese side.

  My father back then worked as family tutor in Fujian for General Chen Kongda, Commander of KMT 70th Army. He taught his children English, Japanese, and Chinese courses. Since Chen Yi asked Chen Kongda to find an interpreter able to speak both English and Japanese. (Back then in Taiwan there were both Japanese troops and American troops, sometimes it involved handover from the locally stationed Japanese Army, sometimes it involved handover from the US Army, and sometimes it involved handling formalities with both the Japanese Army and the US Army at the same place), General Chen Kongda told my father Chen Yi’s request, and recommended my father to work as interpreter and secretary for Chen Yi for half a year.

  In mid October 1945, my father accompanied Chen Yi to take a gunboat of the US Navy Seventh Fleet to go to Taiwan, and accompanied Chen Yi to attend the whole process of handover and the surrender ceremony by Japanese Governor in Taiwan Rikichi ANDO.

  Rikichi Ando is a classmate of Isoroku YAMAMOTO, commander of the former Japanese Army United Fleet (Army Academy). In the Pacific Sea Battle, the Japanese Army suffered heavy casualty, the Japanese Army feared there would be huge number of wounded soldiers after the US Army attacked Japan’s mainland, so it arranged most Japanese wounded soldiers to stay in Taiwan for recuperation, and there were nearly 200,000 wounded soldiers, meanwhile many Japanese expatriates stayed in Taiwan.

  Because the then Chinese government knew little about Taiwan, nor did they know anything about the Japanese Army. In the process of accepting surrender from the Japanese Army, it was cheated and suffered big losses.

  For instance, at the coastal Keelong Port in Taiwan, the 70th Army dispatched a company of soldiers to accept the handover. They felt very happy, fondling the 20cm-diameter coastal artillery that they had never seen before, (these coastal artillery had sunken several frigates of the US Army Seventh Fleet), it was not until February 1947 that they discovered there was no breechblock on these canons. Besides, back then China was unable to manufacture it, (breechblock was up to one tonne in weight) the canons soon rusted, and became a pile of scrap iron in no time. It was rumored the Japanese Army had removed the breechblock and tossed them into the sea when the Chinese Army came for handover.

  Also, many Japanese Army’s invasion evidences and important files were all destroyed one night in a suspicious fire.

  According to agreement, the Chinese government assisted the Japanese Army and Japanese expatriates to evacuate from Taiwan safely, for some VIPs of the Japanese Army, the Chinese government also provided aircrafts to send them back to Japan safely……, later it became known that it was a heavy burden for the Japanese side.

  When Rikichi ANDO left Taiwan Governor Palace, Chen Yi was dispatched in chartered aircraft to send him to Shanghai. Before departure, Chen Yi arranged a family banquet to entertain ANDO, during the meeting Chen Yi asked why the Japanese government wanted to let Chen to come to Taiwan, ANDO said with a smile: “You (Chen Yi) and I are classmates at the Japan Army Academy, (Chen Yi had studied at Army Academy in Japan), after all we have classmate friendship! Your wife (Chen Yi’s wife) is the cousin of my wife, we have relation as relative, you are the best candidate for coming to Taiwan, haven’t we cooperated very well?!” At this moment Chen Yi finally realized everything. Everything has fallen into the trap laid by the Japanese side, but it’s already too late.

  Afterwards, Chen told my father: “None of this can be disclosed to others, otherwise Chiang Kai-Shek will never forgive me.” In 1947, Chen Yi voluntarily resigned from the post of Governor of Taiwan.

  It is now 47 years since the victory of Anti-Japanese War! Chinese government still has not made the decision to investigate damages suffered by common residents during the Anti-Japanese War. Now many witnesses are turning old and approaching the end of their life, and many criminal evidences are either being destroyed or are disappearing. If it is not settled soon, it will become a crime against the Chinese people! For innocent victims in the Anti-Japanese War, the government offered no compensation and care; no face of such victims can be found among delegates of the National People’s Congress. This is a neglected corner, the situations nationwide and in each province are unclear, no one has any clear idea how much debt the Japanese side owed us. It’s ridiculous not to demand compensation from the Japanese government. In overseas countries, when the war was over, the government would voluntarily organize survey of victim populations, issue certificates, and arrange care and compensation. (For instance, victims of atomic bombs in Nagasaki and Hiroshima) 47 years have passed, in our country no one cared anything, and no certificate was issued. Today we voluntarily raised the issue, yet our government personnel on the contrary asked us to produce certificates, mind you: Should we victims ask the Japanese invaders for certificate?! How ridiculous it is.

  As our country has no systematic textbook on the Anti-Japanese War history, most young people today know nothing about many things of Anti-Japanese War, some government staff mistakenly thought China had invaded Japan in the past, saying: “In the past one country invaded another, and vice versa, since several dozen years have passed, what’s the point of discussing it (compensation)?! Now the trend is Sino-Japanese friendship! ” They don’t understand Sino-Japanese friendship is a matter for both sides, and it never depends on the willingness of one single side. Only by properly handling the civilian compensation claim against Japan, can the Sino-Japanese friendship relation develop solidly.

  It is far from enough for a country to say it has no restriction on victim civilians claiming for compensation; instead it must adopt active action, offer vigorous support, provide all kinds of documents and certificates, and try to do its utmost to the perform the government’s due responsibility in civilian compensation, which is the best strategy.

Correspondence address: “Gao Xiongfei, 405#, Unit 1, Building 3, Zone 4, Cuiyuanxincun, Wenyi Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310012”

Gao Xiongfei (name seal)

Professor Tong Zeng:

  Your reply letter ①(copy) mailed on December 13 has been received, the enclosed copy of “the Japanese invaders took away my hand!” article published on Hong Kong “Wah Kiu Yat Po” dated July 20, 1992 has also been received, too. Tank you for your concern for me despite your busy schedule.

  The international research you are engaged in is a lofty cause, what you are doing is to bring benefit to the descendents of the Yan and Huang Emperors, the Chinese people, I fully support your research work, I am also keen on doing some work in this aspect.

  On October 20 this year, I sent a claim letter to Ambassador Hiroshi HASHIMOTO of the Japanese Embassy in China, (Registration No.: 69#,Section 96, Hangzhou, Zhejiang). Just before the Japanese Emperor’s visit to China, I lodged compensation claim to the Japanese government and the Emperor himself. This letter now is at Japanese Embassy in China, (Please refer to the November 25 reply letter copy of my classmate Zhou Xingchu, a researcher). But the Japanese side did not give reply till now, it’s really not very polite. I was mentally prepared, for concurrently I also mailed a letter to General Secretary Jiang Zemin and Premier Li Peng respectively on October 21, which discussed the reason of sending claim letter and other things. I also attached the letter to the Japanese Ambassador in China, (the letter to Jiang Zemin is: 125#, 96 Section, Hangzhou , Zhejiang and the letter to Li Peng is 126#)

  Now I mail the copies of letters to Jiang Zemin, and Li Peng to you for your study, meanwhile I also mail copies of all the claim letters to you for record keeping and future reference.

  Both Jiang Zemin and Li Peng failed to give me reply.

  Today, I also enclosed six page materials, which have not been mailed to the Japanese side, intending for reference by relevant people in China (nor were they sent to Jiang and Li). These are some historical circumstantial evidence materials that cannot be the denied by Japanese invaders, including the article “Mourning Mr. Zheng Kan” written by my mother Shao Zhuhua with her remaining left hand in the evening of discharge from hospital in November 1943 after the bombing. It was published on the “Southeast Daily” published in the then Fujian Nanping City, the date was November 22. The article described bombing time, venue, disability condition, and treatment process. Another article is “Long Road Short Missive” written by Mr. Daojin. Daojin is another name of Wang Suijin, he is a high school classmate of my father Gao Wenda, back then he was traveling from Nanping to Chongqing, en route passed Yong An, and came to the hospital to see us two including mother and son. Mr. Wang Daojin was still alive today, he also wrote a testimony, which is attached behind.

  The disability fact of us two including mother and son is very clear, and supported by solid facts. In 1976 we paid an investigation visit to Yong’an, aiming to look for witnesses and our saviors. Over the past decade we encountered many setbacks and difficulties. The older generation all sympathized us very much, but most in the younger generation were unable to show any understanding. Also, it’s particularly a pity that, when we found out witnesses, most of them are now dead or had no materials, or unwilling to testify due to a variety of reasons!!

  Zhejiang is situated in the coastal region. During the Anti-Japanese War period we suffered seriously from the Japanese invaders, but relevant departments refused to make investigation on the pretext of no official decree. Many victims till today are not aware of the civilian compensation issue, therefore I very much agree with the phrase “civilian compensation brooks no delay”; otherwise, when a lot of witnesses have passed away, where can we collect materials and find witnesses.

  Additionally, it is necessary to study “today’s Japanese government “,i.e. what kind of strategy they have adopted, to deal with we Chinese victims and victims in the WWII. Only knowing ourselves and knowing the other side can we attain the success of compensation campaign.

  In my opinion, the Japanese government is now adopting procrastination tactic. The longer it is postponed, the less the compensation will be, or no compensation at all.

  On the other hand, in order to deal with the Japanese government’s procrastination tactic, we must point out that the compensation issue will calculate interest in the future. The longer it is delayed, the higher the compensation amount will be. Let’s see what attitude will the Japanese government adopt.

  Finally, we must unite Chinese both at home and abroad, inside or outside China, descendants of Emperor Yan and Huang. Let’s take action now, establish international united front in the international community to put pressure on the Japanese government.

  We must take measures according to Japan’s strategy.

  Finally, I want to thank “Wah Kiu Yat Po” for publishing my manuscript, in which there are two errors. In the future when it is reprinted, I hope they can be corrected, so as to facilitate future compensation.

  My home’s telephone number is: (0571) 881741. I hope we can continue to keep in touch, if necessary you can contact Zhou Xingchu, who also has my claim letter’s copies at his place.

  But letters mailed to Jiang and Li were not copied to Zhou.

  Zhou’s correspondence address is: “Researcher Zhou Xingchu, Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Zhongguancun, Beijing, 100080, telephone number for workplace: 2545533-2213.

  Finally, once again on behalf of my whole family, allow me to express sincere appreciation for you and other comrades who work for the claim cause though you. Please also extend my profound appreciation to editors and journalists of the “Wah Kiu Yat Po” and relevant comrades.

In the New Year
Everything goes smoothly in the claim work

Gao Xiongfei
1992.12.31 in Hangzhou

Mailing date of Last time’s material: June 9, 1992
Registration No.: 0434# Section 96, Hangzhou, Zhejiang
Correspondence address: “Gao Xiongfei, 405#, Unit 1, Building 3, Zone 4, Cuiyuanxintun, Wenyi Road, Hangzhou 310012”
Tel: (0571) 881741#

Japanese Ambassador in China:
Mr. Hiroshi HASHIMOTO:


  I am Gao Xiongfei, male, 53, Chinese citizen, and associate professor.

  On the occasion of the first visit by your Emperor Akihito and Empress, I want to express welcome as a common citizen. I look forward to seeing further reinforcement of the friendship between the Chinese people and the Japanese people.

  In order to strengthen the friendship between two countries, the Chinese side and the Japanese side must depart from actual conditions, effectively solve many realistic problems left behind by the Japanese government’s invasion war in the past. These unpleasant things are unavoidable; so if it is not settled, it will remain in the mind of us victims for a long period of time, and will influence generations of offspring. Obviously it will not be helpful for Sino-Japanese friendship undertakings, nor will it favor public opinions toward the Japanese government and the Emperor.

  For this reason, I herby raise a problem related to the Japanese government that troubled my family in the recent fifty years; I believe your Emperor and Empress along with today’s Japanese government will surely give me a reply. I believe you, Mr. Ambassador, will certainly forward my letters and relevant materials to Emperor Akihito and Empress, and the Japanese government in a timely manner.

  My whole family sincerely welcomes you, Ambassador Hiroshi HASHIMOTO and your wife, to come to my home at your convenience.

  We request Mr. Ambassador to give us a reply within 30 days (one month).

  My correspondence address is: “310012, 405#, Unit 1, Building 3, Zone 4, Cuiyuanxintun, Wenyi Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province.”

  Wish your Emperor and Empress to have a complete success in your visit.

  Wish Mr. Ambassador
All the best!

A disabled Chinese citizen
Gao Xiongfei (name seal)
October 18, 1992
At 1-405#, Building 3, Zone 4, Cuiyuanxintun, Wenyi Road, Hangzhou

This document is the claim letter from Gao Xiongfei mailed to the Japanese Embassy as registered mail on October 20, 1992.

  Registration No. is: 0069#, Section 96, Hangzhou, Zhejiang (please find the attached receipt copy)
Japanese Embassy received it on November 5, 1992, but didn’t give me reply until today.

Gao Xiongfei

Your Excellency Japanese Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko:

The government of Japan:

  On the occasion of Your Emperor and Empress’s visiting to China, as a common Chinese civilian, I wish to express warm welcome; in the future I hope you can sincerely treat messenger of friendship from the Chinese people.

  It has been twenty years since the normalization of Sino-Japanese diplomatic relation, I earnestly hope that Chinese and Japanese people can maintain friendly relation for generations to come, that the two countries together thrive and prosper, and make still greater contribution to world peace.

  I am Gao Xiongfei, male, now 53, associate professor, party member of Jiu San Society.

  Sixty one years ago, the Japanese government waged vicious invasion war against China. My motherland and people suffered deeply, the casualty was heavy. My family also suffered disaster. It has been 49 years since we two including mother and son lost our right arms, and it has been 54 years since my uncle was killed by the Japanese Army. It has been 49 years since our house was burned by the Japanese Army, and it has been 20 years since the normalization of Sino-Japanese diplomatic relation; but no one asked about the sufferings of compatriots, for the sake of long lasting friendship between Chinese and Japanese people in the future, we are of the opinion that, we should inform the Emperor and the Empress along with the Japanese government and Japanese people of this matter.

  I. Brief description of fleeing the war disster
  My mother Shao Zhuhua, now 82, worked from 1930 as chief nurse and night shift chief nurse at the Huzhou Evangelical Hospital in Huzhou, Zhejiang Province. As then Japanese government waged the vicious invasion war that incurred towering crimes, we were forced to flee our native town around October 1937. Back then, on the land the Japanese Army chased and intercepted refugees; in the sky the Japanese air force wantonly dropped bombs. Refugees suffered untold pains, many civilians were either killed or injured by the Japanese Army in the fleeing process. Out family also followed the crowd and fled, we stopped and stayed, stayed and stopped, such life spanned seven years, we traveled between seven provinces of Zhejiang, Anhui, Henan, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangxi, and Fujian, and passed Guangde, Xuancheng, Wuhu, Anqing, Lu’an, Huoqiu, Lijiawei, Hankou, Changsha, Yiwu, Nanchang, Yiwu, Jinhua, Shangrao, Longquan, Juzhou, Jiangshan, Shierdu, Ershibadu, Xianxialing, Pucheng, Jianyang, Jianou, Nanping, Shaxian, covering 7000 km, tasted all hardships on earth. In the spring of 1943, we finally arrived at Yong’an City, the then temporary capital of Fujian Province.

  II. Residence address of my home:
  Back then, we lived at the East Gate, south of the Dongmen Street near the Zhongshan Memorial Hall, inside Yong’an City, in a location about 200 meters from Zhongshan Hall. The gate faced north, so one needed to climb seven to eight stone steps from the street side before reaching the gate; beyond the gate was the yard, the yard faced the main hall, which was flanked by wing rooms, our home was in the east wing. Beside the gate there was a stall selling rice dumpling and sweet taro, and behind the house was a two story high hill; in the hill there was air raid shelter; nearby there was a wood pole, with a red lantern at the top, which was for sounding alarm.

  III. Process of mother and son being afflicted with disability
  It was a sunny day in Yong’an, at 13: 00 in the noon, in November 4 Thursday, early winter of 1943. The Japanese Army violated international public law, bombed unarmed civilians in Yong’an. Sixteen aircrafts, in two batches (eight per batch), dropped about 200 plus bombs and incendiary bombs, Yong’an City was instantly transformed into a sea of fire. My mother carried me and hid under the table in the home. One bomb landed near the yard, unfortunately the bomb took away our right arms at the same time, and fortunately our neighbor rescued us. The Fujian Provincial Hospital gave us medical treatment, and we were both amputated, two lives were saved; since then we two including mother and son became disabled.

  After this disaster, my mother since then lost the chance to go back to hospital to work. She fought with life with one hand, and brought up several siblings. I could only began life, study, work, and set up family with only one hand. Over the past 49 years, we mother and son suffered unimaginable mental damages and untold hardships.

  IV. Uncle was killed by the Japanese Army.
  At my grandmother’s home, outside the South Gate of Yixing, Jiangsu Province, my only uncle Shao Haoran (born in 1908) was also killed by the Japanese Army (Please refer to the attached certificates); my grandmother Liu Wanqing was overwhelmed with sorrow for the deaths and injury of her children, and unfortunately passed away in early May of 1946, namely only one month after seeing we two including mother and son. My grandfather Shao Youren also passed away in bitter hatred because of loss of son in middle age, and seeing daughter and grandson being hit by disaster, my grandmother’s home was destroyed this way.

  V. Destruction of hometown house
  My native town was in Tangwan Village, Linping Town, Yuhang County, Zhejiang Province. My great grandfather Gao Shitian was an official in the Qing Dynasty; due to his deeds in constructing hydraulic facility, and building sea dyke, the Emperor awarded us an amount of reward money, with one hundred and several dozen thousand taels of silver at the beginning of the century. Our family built the only garden residence in our village called “Zouma Mansion”. It is a two-story residence of about 3,000 sqm area in brick and wood engraving structure, containing garden, rockery etc. It was burned by the Japanese Army Kurosawa Troop (Please refer to the attached certificate). My grandmother Li Nannan (native of Lijiatang, Zhuangwancun Village, Xucun, Haining) became ill due to excessive worry. Back then the whole family including a dozen people had nowhere to live, and was forced to borrow three empty houses of Yu Jinfa, Yu Jinmao, and Yu Huihui (deceased) in Nandaishang in the same village. Within less than one year after the house was burned, my grandmother passed away. In her last moment, she asked her children to carry her to the ruins created by the Japanese Army. Looking up into the sky, she cried to admonish offspring not to forget the atrocities of the Japanese Army. In a night with howling wind and fierce rain, and on the debris with not a single tile, my grandmother silently left the world cherishing bitter hatred toward Japanese Militarism, when she was only 49. Later partial ruins were used by my grandfather Gao Xingsan to build a simple house in the summer and autumn of 1948; part of the remaining ruins were allocated to my father in 1950 during the land reform. Till now, because we had no economic resources to build new house on the ruins, it still remained unoccupied. (Please refer to attached photos).

  VI. Other property damages
  Because of the approaching bombing by the Japanese Army, my parents were forced to abandon our painstakingly built homes for many times, including home at Huzhou Evangelical Hospital, home at Hankou Red Cross Society, home at Nanchang Health Office, home at Jinhua Evangelical Hospital, home at Shangrao Hekou Sixth Heavy Casualty Hospital of Military Department, home at Longquan Clinic; the Japanese Army also destroyed our home at 5# Changgan Street in Juzhou City in a bombing; in addition, the Japanese Army also destroyed the printing factory of Fujian Yong’an Gaijing Publishing House operated by my father for many years. In a big bombing over Yong’an in November 1943, the whole plant house turned into ash, machinery equipment all became heaps of scrap iron.

  VII. Our demand
  We two including mother and son suffered disability due to bombing by Japanese aircrafts; my uncle Shao Haoran died tragically under the knife of the Japanese Army; my family’s residence was also burned by the Japanese Army; a lot of family assets were abandoned or destroyed in bombing; and many seniors died early due to mental trauma. It is imperative to properly handle the unpleasant incidents left behind by history in order to uphold justice, in order to preserve the most elementary human right, in order to safeguard dignity of the Chinese nation, in order to educate today’s Japanese teenagers, recognize the towering crimes committed by the Japanese Militarism against Chinese people and world people more than 60 years ago, meanwhile in order to uphold solemn international public law, and further to ensure long lasting friendship between Chinese and Japanese governments and people,. For this reason, our family held repeated discussions, with extremely circumspect attitude, decided to put forward the following demand to Your Excellency Emperor Akihito and the Japanese government:

  (I) the Japanese government must publish and dispatch special envoy to us to openly apologize to my family, in particular your must comfort the 82 year old Ms. Shao Zhuhua, who was still alive in my family but was ailing like a candle guttering in the wind.
  (II) Provide certain amount of money to our family as compensation for trauma suffered by my family mentally, physically and materially, which is for expressing sincerity in acknowledging the crime, and bear all expenses of my family members and I, together with relevant personnel in handling this matter both at home and abroad.
  (III) In view of the above facts, and justified and reasonable demand, we request the Japanese government to study the issue, and give us a reply within one month.

  On October 14, 1945, the Japanese government announced unconditional surrender, and on September 2 of the same year, Japan signed unconditional surrender letter. Citizens of China as victory nation are entitled to demand war compensation according to international public law. If the Japanese government ignores our basic demand, we will fight till the end. We are convinced that time is marching forward, all peace-loving people around the world will support our reasonable demand, our claim is legitimate and complies with etiquette, and one day it will be settled fairly.

  VIII. Correspondence address
  ”405#, Unit 1, Building 3, Zone 4, Cuiyuanxintun, Wenyi Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, China 310012.”

  The Chinese government has published a lot of friendly propaganda and reports on Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, so we look forward to seeing Emperor and Empress show care for the difficulties and justified reasonable requests of Chinese citizen out of their busy itinerary.

  We welcome the Japanese government to dispatch personnel to our home for field inspection.

  With the visit to China by Emperor and Empress
A complete success!

Disabled Chinese citizen
Gao Xiongfei (name seal)
From Hangzhou in October 18, 1992

The following documents are enclosed:
  I. One qualification certificate for associate professor;
  II. One certificate from Xu Lide, a juror;
  III. One certificate from Duifang Village, Yicheng Town, Yixing city ;
  IV. One certificate from Tangwan Village ,Linping Town, Yuhang County;
  V. One certificate from He Yongde, a Major General;
  VI. One certificate from Pan Xiuqi, a Section Chief of Public Relation;
  VII. One certificate from Professor Ye Guanrong of Zhejiang University;
  VIII. One certificate from schoolmaster Zhou Wenhan;
  IX. One certificate from physician Liu Renyi, and Zhao Ensheng, a hospital director;
  X. One historical material “Yong’an Disaster”;
  XI. Four photos of mother and son in disabled condition, one photo of burned ruins of the destroyed house.

This is to certify that, upon evaluation by the Lecturer Title Evaluation Committee, Comrade Gao Xiongfei is confirmed to possess qualifications of associate professor title.

Date of review: May 14, 1988.

  This certificate is hereby issued

Certificate No.: 0024

Issued by:         (Seal)
Zhejiang Provincial Education Committee (Committee Seal)
July 1988

About Shao Haoran’s Death during the Japanese Army’s Invasion

  Shao Haoran is my cousin; his native place is Zhuyutou (pronunciation), Outside South Gate of Yixing County, Jiangsu Province (currently Duifang Village, Tongfeng Town, Yixing City). He lived together with my father Shao Youren, mother Ms. Liu, and was a devout Christian. In 1937 the Japanese Militarism invaded China; in October of the same year Yixing fell into the hands of the enemy. As family of my uncle was poor, and he had one blind eye since childhood, another eye had poor eyesight, to the degree of nearly blind, and he was also weak in body, my uncle, aunt and cousin Shao Haoran were unable to go to other town to seek refuge, and could only stay at home. In February and March 1938, because he mistakenly considered the political situation had stabilized, and he planned to invite the former priest of Yixing Church to return and resume preaching. He alone walked to Yixing Zhangzhu Town (back then the priest was hiding there to avoid war), when passing New Street outside the South Gate, he was killed by the Japanese Army inside the blockhouse of the garrison; later his body was stabbed by bayonets, and it was not until half a month later that his family members heard the tragic news. My aunt went there to collect the body, the scene was horrible, he was only 29 when died.

Testifier Xu Lide (name seal)
July 1992

Xu Lide was once judge and prosecutor of Gaoyou local court, Wujaing, Liyang Jiangsu. s, and later juror of Songjiang Branch, Sunan People’s Court, and Section Chief of Academic Affairs Office of the East China Military Zone Demobilized Cadre Liancheng High School. He is currently Director of Academic Affairs of our school, now past 70, which proves his credibility.

July 1992
Wuxi Municipal Workers’ Palace Workers’ Spare-time School (Seal)

To Whom It May Concern

  According to senior villagers of our village, Shao Youren indeed lived in our village in the past; he and his wife Mrs. Liu passed away in the years before the Liberation in 1949. They had a son Shao Haoran, and a daughter Shao Zhuhua; later they adopted a son, Shao Jinhai, who was already dead, and had two sons Shao Xianmin and Shao Hongmin, who were farmers of our village. Tthe whole family believed in Christianity.

  After Shao Zhuhua came of age, in around 1925 she went out of town to study, and married. She rarely returned to hometown, nand ow she lives in Hangzhou.

  Shao Haoran is the elder brother of Shao Zhuhua. In October 1937, Yixing was occupied by the Japanese Army. In the first half of the second year Shao Haoran went to Zhangzhu Town to invite priests to return to Yicheng for preaching. When he walked to Gaoxinjie Town (a small town of Yixing), he was killed by the local Japanese Army. Back then he was less than 30 years old. According to witnesses, when collecting the body, there were several bayonet stabbing holes on the body.

  According to reminiscence by senior villagers, in about 1946, Shao Zhuhua once brought her son Gao Xiongfei back to Yixing. Her right arm was missing, his son’s right arm was missing too, and it was said she lost her arm during the bombing by Japanese aircrafts in 1943 when fleeing to Fujian.

  The brother and sister of Shao Haoran and Shao Zhuhua both suffered persecution from the Japanese Army in its invasion in China.

Duifang Village, Yicheng Town, Yixing, Jiangsu (Village Committee Seal)
Village Head: Wu Jianhua

To Whom It May Concern

  After the Tomb Sweeping Day in 1943, at around 2 o’clock one day, Kurosawa Troop, a Japanese Troop stationed in Haining Sushiqiao, passed our village. As usually the Japanese Army imposed “Burn All, Kill All, Loot All” policy on Chinese civilians, all local civilians fled after hearing the news. When the blood-thirsty Japanese Army came to the village, seeing nobody in the village, they set fire and burn a number of civilian houses, and splashed gasoline on houses of Gao Shengsan (now deceased) and set them on fire. Flame leaped high into the sky, which could be seen by anyone in a radius of 10 li away. In fact, everyone knew Gao Shengsan’s house was the finest and the biggest house in the whole village, including two halls in east and west, each hall had four exits. It was a two-story Chinese style house in brick and wood engraved structure with entry in four sides; in the middle there was rockery garden, according to local terminology, it was called “Zouma Mansion”. The total area of the two halls was about 3,000 sqm.

  I, Xu Zunan, male, 63, back then was hiding in the field in the west. I personally witnessed the Japanese Army’s atrocities.

  After Gao Xingsan’s house was destroyed by the Japanese Army, the family temporarily lived in the home of Yu Jinfa, Yu Jinmao, Yu Huihui (deceased) in Nandaishang in the same village. It was not until 1948 that Gao Xingsan built partial simple house on the ruins.

  In early summer of 1946, after the victory of the Anti-Japanese War, the family of Gao Xingsan’s son Gao Wenda returned to the hometown from out of town. We saw his daughter-in-law Shao Zhuhua and his elder grandson Gao Xiongfei both had their right arms amputated, which corroborated the previous news. The said family suffered calamity during bombing of Japanese aircrafts in Fujian Yong’an in the winter of 1943.

  The above facts are all true, every senior in the village know these facts, Gao Xingsan’s family suffered from calamity of the Japanese invaders’ war, the Japanese government should reasonably compensate for all damages according to law.

Testifier Xu Zunan (name seal)
Landlord Yu Jinfa (name seal)
Village head Yu Lian’gen (name seal)
Secretary of CPC Branch Shen Hongbao (name seal)

Village Management Committee
The above facts are true
Tangwan Village
Tangwan Village Committee, Linping Town, Yuhang County (Village Committee’s Seal)
October 8, 1992

To Whom It May Concern

  In 1943 (32nd year of the Republic of China) November, Japanese aircrafts bombarded Yong’an, the war-time capital of our Fujian Province, they dropped massive quantity of incendiary bombs and highly destructive bombs, which changed the whole city into a sea of fire, houses were reduced to ash. The casualty of innocent civilians reached 7,000-8,000 people, the loss was extremely heavy! Back then I was secretary of the Fujian Provincial Government and Acting General Secretary of the Provincial Mobilization Committee (soon after appointment). Staff members included Gao Wenda who was editor-in-chief of “Fujian Mobilization” monthly, he and his wife Shao Zhuhua and five-year-old boy Gao Xiongfei, were all living in Yong’an. The bombing of the enemy’s aircrafts wrecked havoc, and unfortunately mother and son two persons both lost right arms. After rescue by neighbors, they were sent to the provincial hospital, and received emergency rescue from President Che so as to avoid death. During this process I also paid a consolation visit to his mother, and gave her 5 silver dollars.

  In the following year, I was appointed County Chief of Fujian Zhangpu County; in the summer of 1945 I fought with the Mitsunobu TOKUMOTO troops of the Japanese Army which infested the coastal region in South Fujian in Xiamen, whose victory enabled me to receive Victory Medal awarded by the national government. Soon afterwards I was appointed Major General Senior Executive Officer of the Hengzhou Appeasement Committee at the border of Fujian, Zhejiang and Jiangxi. In 1949 I was appointed County Chief of Zhejiang Jiangshan County; after liberation I was retained in employment, till I retired when I was 63 in 1975, today I was more than 80 years old.

  I am a member of the Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang, belonging to the Second Branch of the Provincial Committee. I reside at #52 Yongjin Residential Quarters, Hangzhou.

Testifier He Yongde (name seal)

Comrade He Yongde is a member of the branch, upon investigation, the post info is true.
Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang Zhejiang Province: this Comrade provided history, this certificate is hereby issued.
Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang Zhejiang Provincial Committee

To Whom It May Concern

  From January 1943 to May 1944 during the Anti-Japanese War, I worked as accountant at the Fujian Province Army Consolation Committee in Yong’an (war time capital) in Fujian, concurrently accountant of Fujian Province Mobilization Committee. Back then the two committees shared the same office, the chief person was He Yongde, Secretary of Fujian Provincial Government, now retired cadre, residing at No. 52, Yongjin Residential Quarters, Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province.

  In November 1943 when Japanese aircrafts bombed Yong’an, Shao Zhuhua, the wife of member of the Provincial Mobilization Committee Gao Wenda, and five-year-old boy Gao Xiongfei whom she card, mother and son both lost right arms; after treatment at hospital, they became disabled.

  The above facts are true; this certificate is hereby issued.

Testifier: Pan Xiuqi
Cadre of the Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang Nanjing Committee (Retired)
June 3, 1992
Address: Room 505, Building 49, Ruijin Residential Quarters, Nanjing City
Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang Nanjing City Committee (Seal)

  Comrade Pan Xiuqi is a retired cadre of our Committee, formerly Section Chief of the Propaganda Section. Before liberation he once worked as accountant at Fujian Province Army Consolation Committee; his statement is trustworthy.

Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang Nanjing City Committee (Seal)

To Whom It May Concern

  In 1951, I studied at Junior High Grade 1 of Hangzhou Shufan High School, Comrade Gao Xiongfei was my classmate in the same class. At the beginning, like other classmates in the class, I knew little about Comrade Gao Xiongfei’s disability, and later I learned from Mr Xu Zhechuan and Xu Zixing that his disability was due to bombing by the Japanese aircrafts. I expressed deep sympathy, and everyone helped him in daily life.

  Soon, the school held “Meeting for Denouncing the Invasion Atrocities of the US Imperialist “, and the school introduced Gao Xiongfei’s mother and son suffering from the persecution of Japanese invasion. Comrade Gao Xiongfei also narrated the disability facts and process at the meeting. Gao Xiongfei’s mother and son developed disability during bombing by Japanese aircrafts in Yong’an, Fujian in 1943. The Japanese government should give compensation according to international law.

  I am a professor in the Department of Optical Science, Zhejiang University; work a model worker of Zhejiang Province, and state-level expert with outstanding contributions.

Testifier Ye Guanrong (name seal)
September 30, 1992

Telephone 524724

To Whom It May Concern

  Comrade Gao Xiongfei studied at Hangzhou Shufan High School (currently Hangzhou Ninth High School) from September 1950 to July 1956. In the spring of 1953, Comrade Gao Xiongfei lodged application for joining Youth League to the school’s Communist Youth League Branch. I was the then Secretary of the School’s Communist Youth League Branch, and conducted comprehensive investigation on Comrade Gao Xiongfei’s family condition and personal experience. As it turned out, according to the then available documents, Comrade Gao Xiongfei’s right arm was indeed destroyed during the bombing of the Japanese invaders’ aircrafts in Yong’an of Fujian at the end of 1943. This certificate is hereby issued. I myself currently work at Teachers’ Further Education School, Gongshu District, Hangzhou. I am schoolmaster. My address is 1# Desheng Road, Hangzhou, telephone number is 885683 and postal code is 310014.

Teachers’ Further Education School, Gongshu District, Hangzhou Zhou Wenhan (name seal)
May 25, 1992

  Comrade Zhou Wenhan is our school’s schoolmaster, senior level high school teacher, and the above statement of this comrade is totally true.

Teachers’ Further Education School, Gongshu District, Hangzhou
Address: 1# Desheng Road    Telephone: 885683

To Whom It May Concern

  This is to certify that Ms. Shao Zhuhua was chief nurse of Huzhou Evangelical Hospital, Wuxing County, Zhejiang, from 1930 to 1937. Back then I was a physician of that hospital. When the Anti-Japanese War began, Huzhou Evangelical Hospital was disbanded due to the war situation. After the war, when I met Ms. Shao Zhuhua in Hangzhou I found her right arm was amputated, one of my friends told me he was also in Yong’an when the bombing occurred. It is true that at the end of 1943 Yong’an in Fujian was bombed by Japanese aircrafts, and Ms. Shao Zhuhua and her son Gao Xiongfei lost right arms at the same time.

This certificate is herby issued

Liu Renyi (name seal)

(50 years of experience as physician)
Residing at 34 Guozi Lane, Middle Jianguo Road, Hangzhou
July 1992
Zhao Ensheng (name seal)
Vice President, Chief Physician, Professor of Zhejiang Province Tumor Hospital
401#, Unit 1, Building 8, Qingheyuan, Qingtai Residential Quarters, Hangzhou


This article is selected from Page 3 of “Southeast Daily” Nanping versionon, November 6, 1943
Historical evidence that can never be denied by Japanese Militarism

These six pages of materials were not sent to the Japanese government. Temporarily it is for reference by relevant personnel in China, so as to ensure complete understanding of relevant facts!

This is copy of receipt of the claim letter sent to Ambassador of the Japanese Embassy

Shao Zhuhua is Gao Xiongfei’s mother, please refer to the attached article written by my mother after her hand was destroyed as one of the historical evidences

This is copy of receipt of letter sent to General Secretary Jiang Zemin

Gao Wenda is father of Gao Xiongfei, and the next two pages of historical evidence all mentioned this point.
This is a copy of receipt of letter mailed to Premier Li Peng


Historical evidence 1
Historical evidence 2
The materials were excerpted from this newspaper, and this is a photocopy

Historical Evidence One

Mourning Mr. Zheng Kai
Written by a person deprived of right arm   Shao Zhuhua(mother of Gao Xiongfei)

  When the enemy’s aircrafts bombed on the fourth day of this month, I and my six-year-old child (referring to Gao Xiongfei) lost our right arms. After amputation operation (including the time and venue of the bombing, details about the way of losing right arms and treatment process), on the second day we both regained consciousness; from the mouths of friends who came to the hospital to see us, I learned Mr. Zheng Kai was also hit by bombing, and he died without receiving medical treatment.

  Despite my infinite anguish, I could only write this article with my left hand to express my sorrow.

  I remember it was in March this year when Mr. Zheng came to our home for the first time (namely the first time we came to know him). On that day Wenda invited him and another one called Mr. Dong to come to my home. As it turned out, we had just finished our lunch, and I asked if they wanted to have lunch. They answered they came to drink wine and have a chat, and there’s no need to prepare lunch. In this way Wenda (father of Gao Xiongfei) began to drink wine with Mr. Dong. But he did not drink wine, instead he kept on smoking cigarettes. The talk of the three persons covered a lot of topics, ranging from realistic theme, Dis Ting An Sooh, residual value, to administrative three association system, Beethoven, and Raphael. A faint smile remained on his face, while his head was shrouded by smoke, he very calmly handled one after another topics, till in the end he told the other three: “I am a British gentleman, and you are Russian scholars, Haha……”

  Since then he became the only guest dressed in Western style suit in that earth house. When he came he always greeted everyone very politely; he was particularly intimate with children, which brought much warmth to people living in the gloomy earth house.

  Later, Wenda went to Nanping, and we fell ill on top of poverty. He often came to see us, and gave us money, cared for us. Such condition continued until recently.

  Now, he unfortunately met disaster, and I myself is disabled, but losing such a share of friendship is more painful than losing my own arm. This is because in this world true friendship is very rare to obtain, we found such friendship in a displaced life of constant moving about, and I lost it very soon. In the days to come I will feel more lonely in the bleak journey of life.

Historical Evidence Two

Long Road Short Missive

Suijin (i.e. Wang Suijin, attached by one certificate)


  On that day after we said good-bye to each other, perhaps you had gotten up too early, and felt very tired! This is the last glimpse, for a moment I felt very sad. When the vehicle passed south of the river, I wanted to look at the newspaper office opposite the river, but the fog is thick. What could be seen were merely shimmering waves and shadows of trees!

  On the highway, I wanted to find out the reasons of frequent occurrence of car accident, in case there were any defects to find. But most of them were original errors. Such as steep gradient, sharp curve, and swaying bridge etc, which fully proved the roadwork engineers were not at all wise. The current error may lie in poor maintenance! Nonetheless, the vehicle ran fast and smooth on the highway.

  Yong’an received not so much bombing, but the burning was very fierce. Standing in the city center, in almost every direction, be it east, west, north or south, one could see the end of horizon. Although only three places caught fire, the fire could spread one dozen streets. The Protection Corps only performed one duty, namely preventing residents from running back to salvage assets, lest there should be danger. But excluding those being burned, still a lot of assets were salvaged.

  There’s nothing interesting inside Yong’an City. Lixing brought me to the countryside to take a walk. It was unexpectedly interesting, and there were several country roads suitable for taking a stroll, new and simple buildings tucked away tastefully in the forest. When we went to the provincial hospital (hospital for treatment and venue) to see the wife of Wenda (i.e. Gao Wenda is the father of Gao Xiongfei) (referring to Shao Zhuhua) and ascertain her condition, at a quiet ferry terminal. A West Lake “small rowboat” style ferry carried us beyond; the water was tranquil, and forest was dense; the mountain was green and beautiful, much resembling a corner of East Lake in Shaoxin, making me unwilling to leave!

  One rainy night, almost every minute that belonged to myself was occupied by them (Xing, Qi, Da……). But one can all the more feel the warmth of friendship in a lonely journey, this time if you came with me, it will surely be a very happy journey.

  Comrades of culture work in Yong’an seemed very lively and intimate. I have seen a dozen of them, and the impression never varied.

  Lao Cai and Lao Gao today stayed in my room. It was already 11 o’clock when Lao Yang was still talking. I prompted him to leave, but he refused, so I sat down and wrote this letter. Now the letter is finished, I feel somewhat tired. Wish you all the best!

Younger brother Suijin
11 o’clock, evening of November 15

To Whom It May Concern

  On November 4, 1943, the Japanese invaders raided Yong’an, war-time capital of Fujian. The wife and son of Gao Wenda, one of my old classmate who worked in Yong’an, were seriously injured by the bombing, which was personally witnessed by myself.

  On November 14 after this time’s air raid, I left Nanping for Chongqing; when passing Yong’an, I stayed two nights, and personally witnessed the devastating bombing of Yong’an. Accompanied by my friend Cai Lixing, I went to Fujian Provincial Hospital which has relocated to the countryside, and visited Gao Wenda’s wife Shao Zhuhua and her son Gao Xiongfei, who were receiving emergency treatment in the hospital. Though they were no longer in critical condition, and I saw both mother and son had received amputation in right arm due to the destruction caused by the bombing. The arms were forever lost! En route to Chongqing, I wrote more than 20 essays on “Long Road Short Missive” for the supplement of “Southeast Daily”. The first one sent from Yong’an was published on November 22, which clearly recorded the bombing of Yong’an by Japanese aircrafts to reduce it to flat ground and the heavy injury of Gao Wenda’s wife (see attachment), which can serve as evidence.

  I am now 74, once editor of in Central Daily in Chongqing, Director of Nanping, Shanghai, Hangzhou “Southeast Daily” Data Office special commissioner in Nanjing, Deputy Director of the Propaganda Department of Democratic League Zhejiang Province Committee, currently specially invited member of Zhejiang Province CPPCC Culture & History Committee. My academic title: Associate researcher.

Wang Suijin (name seal)

December 2, 1992
Residing at 21 Litang Lane, Hangzhou
Tel: (0571) 725162

The above facts are true
Culture & History Department of CPPCC Zhejiang Province Committee (Seal)

Dear Xiongfei:
  Hello! You must be impatient in waiting?

  After receiving the letter, I immediately contacted the Japanese Embassy in China, but the Embassy’s telephone line was always busy, and it’s difficult to put through. Finally when I accessed the Ambassador’s secretary, and this Secretary Ishikawa would return to Japan soon, and he did not know whether or not your letter had been received. I asked him to make a search, he said they had a lot of letters, and it was not easy to search, and generally they would not reply. Later I felt vey helpless, he recommended me to find Mr. Lin of the Political Department to organize a search. In this way one week passed. After I established contact with Mr. Lin, he asked me to come back one week later, so that he could have time to search. Today I called him again, and he admitted they received your letter on November 5. I asked him how they handled the letter, he said generally they didn’t give reply. I once again reminded him to forward the letter to the ambassador for processing. He said it needed study. I asked him when the study would be over, so that he could tell me the result, he said he had no idea. I insisted on having an approximate timeframe for the study, and he failed to give me an answer in the end. It seems this is a very difficult marathon style “study”. In order not to make you worry, I now write a letter to inform you of the status, I will make a call to them to ask for reply from time to time, but the call is hard to be put through, and it’s all the more difficult to find the person I want.

  My home has no telephone, and the office telephone is restricted by the switchboard, so making phone call is not very convenient. Nevertheless, I will assist you as much as I can. About the claim by Beijing residents, I’m not very clear, but I will keep it on mind and take notice in the future, yet according to Secretary Ishikawa at the Embassy in the phone call, there were definitely a lot of claim letters sent to the Embassy.

  Letters addressed to me can be mailed to the Institute of Mechanics, office telephone is: 2545533-2213, and usually I will be there in the morning.

  I will immediately forward any news to you as soon as it is available.
Sincerely yours

Zhou Xingchu


  Zhou is my classmate at the Department of Mathematics, Fudan University. Currently he is a member of “Gao Xiongfei Civilian Claim Team Against Japan”, a key member in Beijing. All my claim materials are kept by him at his place. I look forward to strengthening contact with you!

Gao Xiongfei


Never forget the ferocity of the Japanese Militarism!!!
Excerpted from Page 4 of Nanping Version of “Southeast Daily” on November 18, 1943

  The date marked in the materials previously sent to you is not exact, please forgive me, the exact date of bombing has been corroborated by historical materials as November 4, 1943.

  If there is reprint in the future, please make sure to correct it.

Gao Xiongfei


Gao Xiongfei, currently a 55-year-old university associate professor, was robbed of right arm in a bombing by Japanese aircrafts in Yong’an City, Fujian, in 1943. The photo shows he was denouncing the crimes of the Japanese invaders.

The Japanese invaders took away my hand!
——An account of bombing of Fujian Yong’an City

  I am Gao Xiongfei, currently 55, native of Hangzhou, Zhejiang. On December 2, 1943 on the lunar calendar (should be “November 4”), the Japanese Army bombed Yong’an City, the then temporary capital of Fujian Province. The death toll is at least above 1,000, and the number of injured are numerous. I am one of the survivors of the disaster back then who narrowly escaped death.

  Around noon that day, three red lanterns on a wooden pole rose in the hill opposite my home (an emergency alarm), meanwhile from a distance we heard urgent beating of basin sound, people hurried desperately to find shelter. In the next moment, eight Japanese aircrafts were hovering overhead, and the enemy’s aircrafts dumped massive quantity of incendiary bombs (the size of thermal flask) on the board houses of unarmed civilians in Yong’an City. Instantly civilian houses caught fire, flame leaped into the sky; many people saw houses were burning, and properties caught fire, someone thought the enemy’s aircrafts had left, so they came out to salvage properties and put out the fire. Yet immediately afterwards, the second batch of Japanese aircrafts again showed up, and dropped a large number of frag bombs. Many people back then were killed in explosion, the number of wounded was innumerable. Soon afterwards, the third batch of aircrafts came, they dived low and used machine guns to shoot Yong’an civilians, and in this way they dropped bombs and sprayed bullets in turn. It was not until the sky began to turn dark that the big bombing finally stopped.

  Around noon that day, one bomb landed near the yard of our home. Back then people of two households were all killed; my mother and I heard the shrieking sound of a falling bomb, we immediately hid ourselves under the table. Unfortunately the Japanese invaders’ shell approached, and took away my right arm, meanwhile it also took away my mother Shao Zhuhua’s right arm. We two collapsed to the ground on the spot.

  Back then I was only five years old, and the severed arm was nowhere to be found. Blood spurted toward the ceiling before falling back to the ground, mother and I fainted in a pool of blood.

  Fortunately back then one family from Fujian (should be “Fuzhou”) saved us two. The Fuzhou people first give us simple first-aid rescue measures, and carried us to the hospital on door panels, doctors conducted emergency amputation operation, which saved the lives of we two including mother and son.

(Gao Xiongfei)

Hong Kong “Wah Kiu Yat Po” July 2

s3437-e s3437-p001 s3437-p002 s3437-p003 s3437-p004 s3437-p005 s3437-p006 s3437-p007 s3437-p008 s3437-p009 s3437-p010 s3437-p011 s3437-p012 s3437-p013 s3437-p014 s3437-p015 s3437-p016 s3437-p017 s3437-p018 s3437-p019 s3437-p020 s3437-p021 s3437-p022 s3437-p023 s3437-p024 s3437-p025 s3437-p026 s3437-p027 s3437-p028 s3437-p029 s3437-p030 s3437-p031 s3437-p032 s3437-p033 s3437-p034 s3437-p35 s3437-p36 s3437-p37

Air Bombing(AB), Murders(MU), Others(OT)
About 10000cfj_3o5som

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *